Animal Hospital of West Port St. Lucie

Call Us Today! (772) 344-8800
 
 

Did you know you can fill your prescriptions online with our online pharmacy and have them shipped right to your house whenever you need them?

VETSOURCE.COM 

 
 

DANGER !


Bufo Toad Poisoning

A common threat to South Florida dogs is the poisoning from Bufo Marinus, the giant or cane toad. This species of toad produces a pasty yellow-white toxin in the parotid glands, which extend from the head backward over the shoulder region and is released through pinhole openings in the skin. When a dog mouths or bites a Bufo toad toxin is released and rapidly absorbed across the mucus membranes of the mouth.

Symptoms of Bufo poisoning occur suddenly and may include profuse salivation, vocalizing and pawing at the mouth, brick red gums, in coordination or a stiff gait, difficulty breathing and the intoxication can rapidly progress to seizures or death.

The severity of the poisoning depends on the size of the dog and the amount of the toxin absorbed into the blood stream. Puppies and small breed dogs such as Dachshunds, Mini-pins, Jack Russell Terriers, and Miniature Schnauzers are more seriously affected because they get "more poison per pound" than a large breed dog.

Bufo toads are most active in the spring and summer months when it is warm and moist outside. They are also nocturnal, therefore most poisonings occur in the evening, late night or early morning hours. Poisonings can happen very quickly and even dogs being leash walked have been known to grab a toad and be poisoned.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR DOG IS POISIONED BY A BUFO TOAD.

Step 1) DO NOT PANIC!!! You need to be able to think clearly and act quickly to help save your pet. Panicking will only keep you from acting properly!

Step 2) IMMEDIATELY rinse the dog's mouth out with a large amount of water using either a hose, kitchen sink sprayer, shower sprayer or water bottle. Rinse the mouth from side to side. DO NOT DROWN THE ANIMAL BY FORCING WATER DOWN ITS THROAT. The toxin is very sticky and may need to be gently rubbed off the mucus membranes of the mouth. Be very careful so as not to get bit by your pet. Even the gentlest animal may bite if scared, in pain or having a seizure.

Step 3) Calmly transport the dog to your veterinarian for further care. PLAN AHEAD! Save time in an emergency by preparing now. Keep the phone number of your veterinarian by telephone. (772) 344-8800. Since most poisonings occur at night CALL FIRST to make sure that the hospital is open, don't waste time driving to a closed facility. Keep the phone number and address of the nearest by emergency clinic near the phone too, in case we are not available.

Stuart Pet Emergency 772-781-3302

Ft. Pierce 772-466-3441

There is no specific antidote for Bufo-Toxin and treatment consists mainly Of supportive care. The toxin can effect the heart causing it to beat in an irregular pattern and hyperthermia (body temperature greater than 105 degrees) may develop from seizing. Intravenous fluids, cool water baths and anti-arrhythmic drugs are all used in treatment of bufo intoxication.

So what can you do to prevent your pet from being poisoned? First of all. learn to recognize what a bufo toad looks like. Adults can be as large as 6 to 9 inches in length and have brown, or Grey-brown warty skin. Younger toads are much smaller but just as dangerous. Bufo toads are ground dwelling animals. Do not confuse them with tree frogs, which have suction cup feet and may be found crawling up the side of your house.

Bufo toads live near water such as ponds, canals, and swimming pools. Search your yard in the late evening for them. If you have just moved to a new neighborhood, ask a neighbor if toads inhabit that area.

In addition to eating insects, small animals, snakes and vegetation, Bufo toads are especially fond of your pet's food. You can avoid attracting the toads to your yard by not leaving bowls of dog or cat food down on the ground. If you live in an area inhabited by Bufo Toads, you need to be especially careful. Direct supervision while your pet is outside is crucial and may prevent a tragedy. If you have a fenced in yard you can make it harder for the toads to get through the links by putting Chicken wire fencing along the bottom edge.

Learning to recognize and minimizing the risk of bufo toads living in and and around your yard are the best ways to prevent your dog from being poisoned. But knowing what to do in case of emergency is the most important factor in helping your pet to survive. Rinsing out the mouth with large amounts of water is the single most important step you can take. It will remove excess poison and may actually prevent a minor intoxication from progressing into a life-threatening one. Next, call ahead to your veterinarian's office 772-344-8800 to confirm that the Doctor is present, and calmly and safely transport your pet to the facility.